I don’t remember very well, but I guess my son was about four when I made the bandana quilt. He wanted it, but I was giving it to my husband instead. So to appease him, I told him I’d make another one just for him, and he could help me pick out the fabrics. So of course, he loved this idea & off we went in search of the right fabrics.
Over the years, I have learned that i prefer to choose the fabrics first, and the pattern second. I still have a lot to learn, and this preference may change or even out as I progress. But for his blanket, we started with the fabric.
He chose a couple different sports themed prints to start. Together we picked out a brightly colored squares print, a navy blue with little stars, and the red, blue, yellow & green solids to match the prints. I wasn’t sure what pattern I would use, so I just made sure to buy too much of everything!
At this point, the bandana quilt had already taught me that I wasn’t very good with matching my corners yet. And I had long ago learned that I don’t have the patience to be a perfectionist. So I decided that the big blocks in this blanket were not allowed to meet each other in corners! No corners means no ugly corners! So between each “blocks” row, I used the navy & stars to add a strip across the full width of the blanket.
This was also before I owned a rotary cutter & mat. So I didn’t want to cut the pieces too small. The final layout ended up being single piece blocks alternating with four patch blocks. Once I got it drawn out, I didn’t like the way it looked with a break between each row, but the blocks in the row being all crammed together. So I added what should’ve been 1″ strips of solids between the blocks in each row. I ended up cutting the first set of strips too wide & decided to stick with it. So they turned out closer to 2″. 🙂
By the time I was done piecing the top, I was pretty pleased. Looking back at it, I think I’ve definitely improved since then. You can see that my seams don’t line up well from one row to the next. This totally validates my choice to add a break between each row!
Once the top was done, I didn’t really know what to use for the backing. Eventually, we picked out some navy blue fleece. I still had to make it from two pieces, since the fleece wasn’t as wide as the full blanket. Then, just like the bandanas, I layred them, stitched them together, then turned & top stitched.
I wasn’t very happy with the bulkiness of the blanket, and I knew that quilting it was going to cause me problems. So instead, I opted to tack it down with hand stitching, just in the centers of each four-patch. And then it was done!
My son was super excited, and even though he is nine now & we have bought him nice fluffy comforters, he still wraps up in his “Sports Blanket” every night. 🙂